Home Buying Tips
Buying a Home from Start to Closing
1. Get Yourself Ready for Home Ownership
• Build good credit history
• Obtain mortgage pre-approval through a reputable lender
• Save for a downpayment and closing costs
2. Contact a Real Estate Professional
• Ask friends, family, and co-workers for a referral
• Interview real estate agents and understand terms of agreements before signing anything
• Explain your needs and expectations before deciding on working with any real estate professional
3. Get Your Financing in Order
• Understand your financing terms
• Work with your lender to get everything they need in a timely manner
• Keep your credit stable and wait to make any big purchases
4. Locate the Right Property
• Determine your needs and wants for a home
• Start searching online, visiting open houses, and look at homes with an agent
• Negotiate and contract on the right property for you
5. Prepare for Closing
• Get a home inspection
• Order a home warranty
• Review appraisal report
• Obtain homeowner’s/hazard insurance
• Schedule final walk through and closing
• Make cash due at closing available – usually requires wiring in advance
• Review and Sign Closing Disclosure and transaction paperwork
• Set up utilities and address change with post office
• Don’t forget to file a Homestead Exemption at the beginning of the next year!
Tips for First-Time Home Buyers and Buyers With Less than Perfect Credit
Consider some of these little known facts about owning your own home:
You don’t need a large down payment.
You may be able to get assistance with your down payment and closing costs.
You may be able to find seller financing options.
You can buy a home with less than perfect credit.
Most renters are under the impression that buying a home is much harder than it really is. Perhaps the hardest step is finding the right real estate company to contact that can help you find options that will work for you. TCP Real Estate has helped first-time home buyers throughout Texas identify programs and locate properties that best suit their needs and situations. Our experienced real estate agents will walk you through the entire home buying process from start to finish. It’s a wonderful time to stop renting and start owning!